This Baked Alaska is one very special dessert and will have everyone coming back for more!
A light heavenly sponge enveloping the creamiest ice-cream – you don't get better than this!
It may seem a bit tricky if you've never made this before but it really is easy as long as you follow the instructions and completely cover the ice-cream with the meringue!
It's well worth the effort and you are sure to impress everyone at your table!
• 4 large egg whites
• 8 oz sugar (250gm)
• 1 sponge cake (genoese)
• 3 tablespoons kirsch or other liqueur
• 16oz (500gm) vanilla ice-cream
• Icing sugar - just a sprinkle
• Whisk the egg whites with the sugar until it forms stiff peaks. This can be done using an electric whisk or by hand whisk but takes much longer.
• Place the meringue in the refrigerator to chill.
• Cut the cake in half horizontally and sprinkle with the liqueur.
• Place half the cake on a serving plate and cover it with the ice-cream. The ice-cream must be frozen solid - you may have to cut it into pieces!
• Place the other piece of cake on the top. Press it down completely covering the ice-cream.
• Cover the whole area of the cake with the meringue quite roughly. This is the crucial part it MUST be completely covered!
• Sprinkle with icing sugar.
• Place in centre of pre-heated oven 220°C/425°F until golden brown.
This is just a sumptuous dessert and one I know you, your family and friends will fall madly in love with!
Return to French Dessert Recipes
Return from Baked Alaska to Home page