Ingredients (Serves 6)
• 4 lbs (1.8kg) stewing beef cut in thick chunks.
• 8oz (225g) streaky bacon or salt pork, diced
• 1 bottle of a good red wine such as Burgundy
• 2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 carrots, thickly cut
• 2 large onions, thickly sliced
• 3 ripe tomatoes, pealed, de-seeded and roughly chopped
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 - 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• Bouquet garni
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 1 small onion studded with 4 cloves
• Grated rind and juice of one orange (optional)
• 2 - 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
• Salt and ground black pepper
• A handful of black olives (optional)
• Place the pieces of beef together with the chopped carrots, onions,
studded onion and bouquet garni in a large non metallic bowl.
• Pour over the red wine and leave to marinate over night.
• Next day remove the pieces of beef from the marinade and dry with
paper towels. (They need to be dry as they will not brown if left wet)
• Heat the olive oil in a deep heavy bottomed frying pan and
brown the pieces of bacon. Place them in a large heavy bottomed
• Now brown the pieces of beef, a small amount at a time and place these also in the casserole dish.
• Add the rest of the marinade to the pan.
• Add the tomatoes and tomato paste.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Bring to the boil and immediately reduce heat and simmer for about four hours. The marinade will reduce by about 3/4 but you can add a little
water if it reduces too much. It should be a good consistency and not
• Add a handful of black olives and some grated rind and juice of one orange if you like but it is equally good without.