gateaux aux marrons
a fantastic tea-time treat or festive delight
This Chestnut Gateaux or Gateâu Aux Marrons is quite special and would be a real tea-time treat for your family and friends. It would also compliment any table for parties or special occasions and is a welcoming change at Christmas instead of the usual cakes and pastries.
What better way to use those beautiful seasonal chestnuts than in a dreamy chestnut cake!
Chestnuts can be cooked in different ways and this is just one way to use them in a lovely puree chestnut puree. If you want to make your own puree, or indeed want to know other ways to enjoy them take a look at how to cook chestnuts.
• 3 eggs (separate the whites and the yolks)
• 4oz light brown castor sugar
• 2oz plain or all purpose flour
• 1oz cornflour
• 1 level teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:-
• 8oz sweetened chestnut puree
• 2oz butter
For the Chocolate Icing
• 3oz plain chocolate
• 1 tablespoon rum or coffee
• 2oz unsalted butter.
• Preheat your oven to 250°C/350°F/Gas 4
• Mix the egg yolks with the sugar until light and creamy
• Sift together the flour, cornflour and baking powder
• Whisk the egg whites until stiff (make sure your bowl is completely clean
with no traces of grease or they will not become stiff)
• Gently fold in the flour and the egg white, alternatively into the creamy
• Pour into your prepared tin and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or until is
firm to the touch.
• Cool on a wire tray.
• Prepare the filling by creaming the chestnut puree with 2oz softened butter.
• Slice the cake when cold into three and fill with the chestnut filling.
• Now prepare the chocolate icing by melting the broken chocolate in a small
dish over a pan of hot water. Add the rum and remove from the heat and beat in
the softened butter.
• Pour this lovely chocolate icing over your cake.
And there you have it – a really dreamy Chestnut Gateaux!
Return to Christmas Recipes
Return to Home Page