Chicken Liver Pate
This is a lovely rich chicken liver pate which is so delicious and is one you can make at home very easily.
It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator and also needs a few days to mature so you can plan ahead and make it before you need it.
If you can get free range chicken liver these will give you a better flavour, but if not don't worry it will be good anyway.
This recipe will make enough for six to eight people.
• 12oz (350gm)chicken livers
• 2 tablespoons of Madeira. Port or Brandy
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• 1 crumbled bay leaf
• 1/2 clove garlic crushed or 1oz chopped onion
• 2oz (50gm) firm bread soaked in a little milk
• 4oz (110gm) cooked ham
• 8oz (225gm) quality pork sausage meat
• 3oz (75gm) streaky bacon with the rind removed
• Remove any tissues from the livers.
• Place the liver in a basin with the wine and the Madeira ( or port or brandy)the bay leaf and the onion or garlic. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
• Remove the bread from the milk and squeeze dry.
• Now take all but 3 of the livers, and together with the bread, the ham and sausage meat, put through a fine mincer.
• Mix thoroughly and gradually add the rest of the wine marinade. The mixture will be fairly soft.
• Take a heavy knife and stretch the streaky bacon as thinly as possible.
• Line a 1 1/2 pint oven-proof dish with the bacon rashes, allowing the rashes to extend over the rim of the dish.
• Place half the liver mixture over the bottom of the dish.
• Take the remaining chicken livers and cut them in half.
• Place them on top of the liver mixture.
• Now place the remainder of the liver mixture on the top of the chicken livers.
• Fold the bacon rashes over the surface.
• Cover with a lid or tin foil.
• Stand the dish in a baking tin filled with hot water which comes half way up the dish.
• Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven 350F (Gas 4, 180C) for about 1 1/2 hours.
• Allow to cool and when cold place in the refrigerator for a few days to mature and let all the flavours blend.
Serve your chicken liver pate either in thick slices with a green salad and freshly made mayonnaise or spread on freshly made toast or crispy French bread.
This is so delicious you will fall madly in love with this one!
Return from chicken liver pate to Pate recipes
Return to Home page