A firm favourite with everyone, and so easy to make. Impress your friends, or just indulge yourself.
4 oz plain dessert chocolate high in cocoa
· 2 eggs (separated)
· 1 tablespoon of brandy
· 2 heaped teaspoons of whipped cream
· A small amount of grated dark chocolate
1. Carefully melt the chocolate in a bowl over a gently bubbling pan of hot water for a maximum of three minutes.
2. Remove from the heat when it is smooth and liquid.
3. Beat the egg yolks into the chocolate whilst still hot, and then leave to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
4. Now beat the egg whites, not too stiffly (into soft peaks), and fold into the mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into two stemmed wine glasses, cover with cling film and leave to chill for two hours. The mixture then becomes firm.
6. Before serving, pierce the surface of each mousse and allow the brandy to soak into the surface.
7. Top with a blob of the whipped cream and sprinkle with the grated chocolate.