This recipe makes about 12 cakes.
• 1 1/4 (6oz, 170g)cups of flour
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup (20g) confectioners sugar
• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoon of orange or lemon juice
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• Pre-heat your oven to 350F
• Grease a 12 cup madeleine pan with a little butter
• Sift the flour and baking together and leave aside.
• In a large bowl, beat the eggs and confectioners sugar together using a mixer if you have one. Do this for about 5 minutes until it becomes thick and creamy.
• Fold the lemon zest and the juice into the mixture.
• Gradually fold in about a quarter of the flour and a quarter of the melted butter.
• Then fold in another quarter of the flour and then another quarter of the melted butter.
• Continue folding in the flour and melted butter in quarters until it has all been mixed in.
• Leave the mixture to stand for about 10 minutes.
• Using a tablespoon, gently spoon the mixture into the madeleine tin.
• Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 12 minutes until a needle inserted in the centre comes out clean.
• Turn your cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
• Dust with confectioners sugar.
Your madeleines are now ready to eat!