Scrambled Eggs Basquaise
La Piperade is a wonderful egg recipe originating from the Basque region of France. It is so easy to make and is ideal for breakfast or a light lunch.
This recipe has bacon in it which gives it a delicious flavour.
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon oil
• ½ cup (4oz)diced bacon
• 4 green peppers, seeded and cut in small pieces
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded
• 4 free range eggs, well beaten
• Salt and black pepper
• Heat the butter and the oil in a frying pan.
• Cook the bacon, green peppers, and onion over a medium heat until soft.
• Add the garlic and tomatoes.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Raise the heat and with a fork, crush the tomatoes and this will evaporate the juices.
• When the vegetables are cooked, add the four well-beaten eggs to the pan.
• Immediately mix a fork until the eggs are sufficiently scrambled.
• Serve your La Piperade immediately.
This is an old recipe and it makes two very good portions!
You can omit the bacon if you prefer but it does give a wonderful flavour. Red peppers may be used but I think the green ones look beautiful with the red of the tomatoes.