Filets of Sole Recipe
Filets de Sole au Vermouth
This filets of Sole recipe, or Filets de Sole au Vermouth is an easy dish to make at home and is so delicious with it's creamy delectable sauce that you will impress everyone at your table.
Serves 6 people
• 2 large fillets of sole
• 150 mls (1/4 pint) dry vermouth
• 225 g (8oz) mushrooms, sliced thickly
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 5 tablespoons water
• 25 g (1oz) butter cut into pieces
• 275mls (1/2 pint) double cream
• 4 egg yolks
• Fish bones and trimmings from filleted sole
• 275 mls (1/2 pint) dry white wine
• 275 mls (1/2 pint) water
• 100 g ( 4oz) chopped onion
• Bouquet garni
• Salt and black pepper
• First make the stock by placing the fish bones and trimmings in a large pan with wine, onion, bouquet garni and seasoning and bring to the boil.
• Lower the heat and cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Set aside.
• Butter a heavy based pan and place the fish fillets in the pan.
• Pour the vermouth and the reduced stock over the fillets and poach for 10 minutes.
• Now, drain the liquid, reserving it for later and place the fillets on a warm dish or large plate.
• Cook the mushrooms in the water with lemon juice and butter.
• Season and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
• Strain the liquid into a pan and garnish the fish with the mushrooms.
• Reduce the liquid you reserved earlier by half and reduce the mushroom liquid to half also.
• Mix the two liquids together and now add the cream.
• Heat slowly until very hot but not boiling.
• Remove from heat and whisk in the egg yolks.
• Place the pan over a low heat and add the lemon juice.
• Beat thoroughly until the liquid thickens.
• Pour the sauce over the fish and serve immediately.