Tomato Sauce Recipe
This tomato sauce recipe or Sauce Tomate is made with ripe summer tomatoes and adds colour and a rich taste to your meat, vegetable or pasta dishes.
You can of course make it with canned tomatoes but it is best to use fresh tomatoes whenever possible as the taste and quality is so much better.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 oz chopped celery
• 1 oz chopped carrot
• 1 oz chopped onion
• 1 level tablespoon flour
• 1 rasher of streaky bacon
• 1/4 pint (5/8 cup) water or stock
• 1 1/4 lb ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 1 clove garlic crushed
• Bouquet garni
• Salt and pepper to taste
• In a heavy bottomed pan fry the bacon, celery carrot and onions in the olive oil on a gentle heat for about five minutes.
• Mix in the flour until it is well blended and continue cooking for about a minute.
• Add the water or stock, the tomatoes, bouquet garni and seasoning.
• Bring to the boil then immediately simmer and cook for half an hour.
• Put through a sieve and return to the pan.
• At this stage you can adjust the consistency by adding more water if it is too thick or boiling a little longer to reduce to a thicker consistency if it is too thin.
• Taste your tomato sauce and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Serve your tomato sauce recipe when hot.
A tomato sauce such as this can be used for many dishes that are simple yet delicious for family meals or for entertaining.
You can use it for egg dishes, pasta dishes, chicken and meat dishes. It will transform them into colourful and extremely tasty meals.