These gorgeous French Apple Dumplings or Boulettes de Pomme are petite parcels of sheer joy and will bring love and happiness to your table every time.
They are very easily made with fresh juicy apples and delicious home made pastry making them a very inexpensive French dessert which tastes absolutely wonderful. Include this with your apple recipes it's sure to be a winner.
They can be served just as they are or with a good dollop of
wonderful French cream or creme fraiche whichever you wish, both are so
For 4 people you will need:
• 4 medium dessert apples
• 4 tablespoons apricot jam
• 4 teaspoons butter
• 1 tablespoon calvados - optional but lovely
• 1 beaten egg
For the pastry you will need:
• 8oz (250gm) plain flour
• 4oz (250gm) butter - cold, diced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 fl oz /50ml water
First make the dough by the following method:
• Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the diced butter.
• Add the salt.
• Rub the butter into the flour with fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. (You could also use a food mixer)
• Add the water and mix until it forms a ball.
• Wrap the ball of dough in plastic or foil and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes. (I use a plastic bag here)
• Prepare the oven to 200°C/400°F
• Roll the dough out to a thin sheet.
• Cut out four squares of pastry large enough to cover the apples.
• Peel the apples, leave them whole and remove the core with an apple corer.
• Place an apple on each pastry square.
• Put a little jam in each hole together with a little butter and sprinkle with the calvados.
• Place on a greased baking tray.
• Brush with beaten egg.
• Bake for about half an hour until golden brown.
Serve them warm.
Note: You can also use pears instead of apples if you prefer for this dessert.