A very beautiful creamy and special asparagus soup to give as a starter or a prelude to your evening meal.
A seasonal spring delicacy in Argenteuil area of France, the asparagus makes a superb soup which is sure to satisfy everyone.
sure to try it as the flavour of this homemade French soup is so superior to
any canned version!
4 cup (500gr) fresh asparagus
1 onion, finely chopped
½ cup (125ml) vegetable stock
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 cup (250ml/½ pint) vegetable stock
1 cup (250ml) soya milk or semi skimmed milk
½ cup (125ml) plain yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with ½ cup vegetable stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
2. Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in a blender and purée until smooth.
3. Melt butter in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining 1 cup vegetable stock and increase the heat. Continue stirring with a whisk until the mixture comes to a boil.
5. Stir the vegetable purée and milk into the saucepan slowly. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice and stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls.
Garnish with reserved asparagus tips.
with Parmesan if desired.