Aubergines au gratin is a simple and easy vegetable recipe full of flavour and natural goodness.
It's a great dish to serve as a starter and can be served either hot or cold or with your favorite roast poultry and meat dishes.
Of course you can simply serve it on it's own with fresh crusty bread. It's so delicious!
• 2 medium aubergines
• 6 tomatoes
• 1 onion finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 sprigs parsley
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1 sprig basil
• Salt and black pepper
• Grated cheese such as parmesan or any hard cheese
• Wash aubergines and slice them lengthways.
• Sprinkle with salt and place in a colander (place a plate on the top of them with a weight on this. This will allow the excess water to run out)
• Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for a few minutes and then peel and chop them.
• Pour the oil into a heavy bottomed pan and sweat the onions and tomatoes with the herbs for about 15 minutes.
• You can now either rub the tomatoes through a sieve or blend them in a processor.
• Season your tomato puree (now called tomato coulis) with salt and pepper to taste.
• Rinse the aubergine slices and dry them with kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.
• Saute the aubergine slices in olive oil until golden brown.
• Place them in individual dishes and pour the tomato coulis over the top.
• Sprinkle with grated cheese and place under the grill until golden brown.
Your dish is now ready to serve.
It can be served hot as a first course or as an accompaniment with your favourite roast meat or chicken dishes.
It is also good served cold.
Return from Aubergines au Gratin to Vegetable Recipes
Return to Home Page