This is a very warming and delicious beetroot recipe with the addition of onions. What an appetising combination of vegetables to satisfy your family and it's such a simple dish to make, which is a bonus.
You can serve it with your favourite meat, fish or poultry yet it is just as good served with vegetarian recipes or rice dishes. However you serve it, the colour and flavour is wonderful.
· 8oz (225g) onions, finely sliced
· 4oz (100g) butter
· 1½ lbs (675g) cooked beetroot
· ¼ pint (150ml) double cream
· Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat.
· Sauté (fry) the finely sliced onions in the butter until they begin to slightly brown.
· Cut the beetroot into thick slices, then each slice into quarters and add to the onions.
· Season with salt and black pepper.
· Cook over a low heat for another 10 minutes.
· Just before you are ready to serve, pour in the cream, mix well, heat for a few minutes and serve.