breton flat cake
buttery breton flat cake – a splendid afternoon tea treat
Breton flat cake, known as galette Bretonne, is traditional throughout Britanny, the region in the north west of France.
It is a delicious rich buttery cake with a crunchy texture. It is so good and very easy to make at home.
France is well known for its gorgeous butter and cream and this is just one of the recipes which is made from their own produce and has been handed down through the generations.
A very simple but beautiful cake it would make a wonderful dessert or as an afternoon treat with a cup of coffee! To me it is for anytime of day and I assure you it will not last long!
• 6 oz plain flour
• 3 oz castor sugar
• 2 egg yolks
• 4 oz butter (soft, at room temperature)cut into small pieces
• 1 dessert spoon orange flower water
• Pinch of salt
• First, sieve the flour and salt onto your working surface or your pastry board.
• Make a well in the middle.
• Put the orange flower water, sugar and egg yolks into the well (keep a teaspoon of the egg yolk to glaze).
• Use your fingers to mix the egg, orange flower water and sugar together.
• Now add the butter and continue mixing with your fingers, gradually mix the flour into the mixture.
• Knead for a short time only as it must not be handled for long.
• Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
• Place the dough into a flan tin and using your fingers and knuckles, spread the dough to the sides of the tin.
• Add a teaspoon of water to the reserved egg yolk and brush over the dough to glaze.
• Lightly prick the dough over the surface.
• Place in a pre-heated oven at 350F(170C,Gas 4) for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool as this is important for the texture of the cake. Once cool it will have a wonderfully crunchy texture with a buttery taste that's just divine.
Your Galette Bretonne is now ready to eat!
Just one of the more traditional cakes from the Celtic region of Brittany and one that is easy for you to make at home.
Return from Breton Flat Cake to Easy Cake Recipes
Return to Home Page