· 2½ lbs (1.3kg) beef steak, shin beef or thick
· 2 tbsps olive oil
· 8 oz onions, roughly chopped
· 1 bouquet garni
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 1 tbsp sugar
· 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
· 1 tbsp plain flour
· 1 tbsp butter
· half a pint beer
1. Cut the beef into thick strips about
2. Heat the oil or fat in a heavy bottomed pan and seal the beef strips for a
few minutes on each side.
3. When all are sealed, place on a warm
4. Soften the onions in the pan for a few
minutes without browning them.
5. Put the meat back in the pan.
6. Add the beer and, if needed, add some
water to cover the meat.
7. Season with salt and black pepper and
add the bouquet garni.
8. Cover with a lid and bring to boiling
point; at this stage you can either reduce the heat and simmer for an hour on
top of the cooker or place in a moderate oven for an hour until cooked.
9. When the meat is cooked, remove and
place in a warm dish.
To develop the sauce:
• Heat the
vinegar with the sugar in a small saucepan until it bubbles and forms a dark
• Stir in two
tablespoons of boiling water and then add this mixture to the pan, this gives
it a good colour.