Chicken Celestine is another delicious French chicken recipe you will love. It is so simple to make but the taste is divine. It is a good recipe for a family meal or entertaining. You will be the envy of your friends with this one!
The chicken for this recipe as with all French chicken recipes is of good quality in France. That's because they are very proud of their poultry and you will notice if you have chicken when on holiday in France that it is far tastier than our supermarket chickens.
However, we can buy free range chicken and although it is expensive, it is worth it for the taste and of course for the welfare of the chickens. If you cannot afford a free range chicken, simply buy the best you can and your food will always taste great.
You can buy chicken pieces for this dish but the traditional way is to cut a whole chicken into pieces. This way is so much more economical and you will get a much better flavor for your finished dish.
• Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
• Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan.
• Place the bacon in the pan with the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown.
• Add the brandy and set alight.
• When the flames have died down add the wine to the pan.
• Cook for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes to the pan, the mushrooms and stir in the cream.
• Season with salt and pepper and cook on a low heat for about 30 - 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
• Remove the chicken pieces to a hot plate and if the sauce is too thin, boil the sauce for a few minutes to reduce and thicken.
Serve with new potatoes and French green beans or whatever takes your fancy! It is good with noodles too.