chicken liver patÉ
a delicious recipe you can make at home so easily
This is so tasty and is great for family meals and
entertaining, so a really good dish everyone.
This is a lovely rich chicken liver pate which is so delicious and is one you can make at home very easily.
It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator and also needs a few days to mature so you can plan ahead and make it before you need it.
If you can get free range chicken liver these will give you a better flavour, but if not don't worry it will be good anyway.
This recipe will make enough for six to eight people.
• 12oz (350gm) chicken livers
• 2 tablespoons of Madeira. Port or Brandy
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• 1 crumbled bay leaf
• ½ clove garlic crushed or 1oz chopped onion
• 2oz (50gm) firm bread soaked in a little milk
• 4oz (110gm) cooked ham
• 8oz (225gm) quality pork sausage meat
• 3oz (75gm) streaky bacon with the rind removed
• Remove any tissues from the livers.
• Place the liver in a basin with the wine and the Madeira (or port or brandy) the bay leaf and the onion or garlic. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
• Remove the bread from the milk and squeeze dry.
• Now take all but 3 of the livers, and together with the bread, the ham and sausage meat, put through a fine mincer.
• Mix thoroughly and gradually add the rest of the wine marinade. The mixture will be fairly soft.
• Take a heavy knife and stretch the streaky bacon as thinly as possible.
• Line a 1½ pint oven-proof dish with the bacon rashes, allowing the rashes to extend over the rim of the dish.
• Place half the liver mixture over the bottom of the dish.
• Take the remaining chicken livers and cut them in half.
• Place them on top of the liver mixture.
• Now place the remainder of the liver mixture on the top of the chicken livers.
• Fold the bacon rashes over the surface.
• Cover with a lid or tin foil.
• Stand the dish in a baking tin filled with hot water which comes half way up the dish.
• Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven 350°F (Gas 4, 180°C) for about 1½ hours.
• Allow to cool and when cold place in the refrigerator for a few days to mature and let all the flavours blend.
Serve your chicken liver paté either in thick slices with a green salad and freshly made mayonnaise or spread on freshly made toast or crispy French bread.
Return from chicken liver pate to Pate recipes
Return to Home page