This is a delicious savoury rough textured country paté which you can make very easily at home. It is made with a mixture of minced meats and pork fat. To buy a good quality paté of this type is quite expensive, so you can have the quality and the wonderful flavour of this French paté on your table with this superb recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
· 8oz (225gm) lean veal
· 8oz (225gm)fresh belly pork
· 4oz (110gm) cooked ham
· 4oz (110gm) pigs liver
· Half a clove of garlic
· 4oz (110gm) back pork fat, diced
· 1 level tsp salt
· ¼ tsp ground black pepper
· ¼ tsp ground allspice or mace
· 4 tbsp white wine or brandy
· 3 rashers of streaky bacon with the rind removed
· Mince all the meats together very roughly.
· Crush or mince the garlic finely and add to the meat mixture.
· Add the diced pork fat.
· Add the salt and pepper.
· Add the ground allspice or mace.
· Add the wine or brandy.
· Mix thoroughly.
· Press the meat mixture into a 1½ pint ovenproof dish.
· Stretch the streaky bacon with a knife and place over the top.
· Cover with a lid or tin foil.
· Leave for a few hours before baking to allow all the flavours to blend.
· Place in a baking tin with hot water reaching half way up the dish.
· Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (300°F / Gas 4) for 1½ hours.
When cold, place in a refrigerator and leave for a few days before using. This will bring out all the flavours and will be absolutely wonderful.
Serve this delicious paté in thick slices with a green salad,
or spread on freshly made toast or crispy French bread.