Although distinctly Chinese in concept, this delicious dish betrays influences of the Brazilian dish churrasco, It's easy and quick to make, but benefits from the beef being left to marinade overnight, if possible.
· 1 tbsp rice wine
· 1 tbsp soy sauce
· 1 tsp sesame oil
· 1 tbsp cornflour
· 475 gm beef, e.g. rump steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
· 2 tsp rapeseed oil
· 4 cm piece of ginger, cut into matchsticks
· 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
· 1 red chilli, finely sliced
· 2 tsp cumin seeds
· 1 tsp chilli flakes
· Jasmin rice to serve, or noodles
Shredded spring onions and coriander to serve
1. In a large bowl whisk the rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornflour.
2. Add the beef and toss until evenly coated. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, cumin and chilli flakes, and stir fry for 30-60 seconds.
4. Add the beef and marinade and stir fry for 2-3 minutes; add a splash of water if it sticks.
5. Serve with Jasmine rice or noodles, and
garnish with the shredded spring onions and coriander.