500g block of short crust pastry,
2 tbsp olive oil
300gm fresh spinach, centre ribs
removed, finely chopped
100gm fresh goat’s cheese
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to season
Eggs: 2 whole + 2 yolks (save the
white to make macaroons or meringues)
1 tbsp milk, for glazing
1. Wilt the spinach with ½ tsp of salt
until the leaves become a little darker. Don’t overcook. Cover and set aside to
2. When the spinach is cool, combine it in
a bowl with the goat’s cheese and ½ tsp of salt. Sprinkle generously with
grated black pepper and grated nutmeg.
3. Heat the oven to 200°C, and line a
baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Roll out half the pastry to make a
circle about 10 inches (25cm) in diameter, using an upturned plate as a
template to cut a circle. Save the trimmings.
5. Arrange the spinach and cheese mix on
top, leaving a margin of about 4cm (1½ inches), and create four little wells in
the spinach. Break 1 whole egg into two of the wells, and put the yolks of two
others in the remaining wells (Or you can just use 4 small whole eggs instead).
6. Roll out the other half of the pastry,
and place it on top of the pie, crimping the edges to seal them. Brush the top
and edges with milk. Use the trimmings to make designs to on top of the pie and
brush with more milk.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the pie is