Any cooked fish can be used for these miniature fish balls but they are especially good with smoked haddock. Salmon is also a favorite and so easy as you can use canned salmon for this one. Tuna can also be used and is equally good.
They make a great starter dish, appetizer or horsdoeuvres and can be served with a butter sauce or any sauce you prefer. Serve them with a small green salad and you have a very easy dish which will look and taste amazing.
If your kids shy away from fish dishes, this is one of the best ways to get them to enjoy a good fish dinner. By adding a few French fries for the kids you have another great dish and this will temp even the most difficult of eaters - so easy to prepare and the fish will give them the nourishment they need.
It's a winner every time.
• 8oz potatoes, mashed with 1oz butter
• 12oz cooked, flaked fish which has both bone and skin removed - haddock, cod, coley fish; salmon is a favorite and very good if you are entertaining. A good smoked fish can be added to white fish if you want a fuller flavor.
• 2oz onion or shallots lightly fried but not browned
• 1 beaten egg
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to fry
• Salt and pepper to taste
Mash the freshly cooked potato with the butter.
• Add the flaked fish to the potato.
• Add the cooked onion.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Form into small walnut size balls.
• Coat with the flour and leave in refrigerator for half and hour to firm,
• Fry in hot fat until golden brown.
• Drain on kitchen paper.
• Serve with melted butter or your own preference for a cream sauce.
As you will now see you have such a great and easy hors d'oeuvre which is both tasty and nourishing - and looks amazing on your table!
For the kids - serve with their favourite sauce such as tomato or mayonnaise and include a few French fries as these will go down well with them. You will have a great fish dish they will love and you will know they have had a healthy meal all made at home with no added nasty chemicals.
Return from fish balls to hors d oeuvres recipes