This fish stock recipe will make about two litres (3 ½ pints, or 8 cups ) of good stock which can be used immediately or frozen until needed.
It will form the basis of a good fish dish and give you such excellent flavour.
• lb (900gm, 8 cups ) fresh fish: this can be fish heads, fish bones, fresh or cooked shellfish leftovers, any fish trimmings
• 1 onion thinly sliced
• 6 parsley stems – not the leaves as they will darken the stock.
• 1 carrot thinly sliced
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• Pinch of salt
1. Place all the ingredients into a large heavy bottomed pan or, if you have, a fish kettle.
2. Bring to the boil and skim any foam which may have formed on top.
3. Reduce heat and simmer slowly, uncovered, for about half an hour.
4. Pass the contents through a fine sieve – a muslin lined one is best if you have one.
5. Cool the stock and when cold, you can place in your refrigerator or freezer.
So easy and yet it will give you such a divine flavour!