French Chocolate Mousse Recipe
• 2 tablespoons either orange liqueur or brandy
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 4 eggs, separated
• 6 tablespoons double cream
• 3 tablespoons fine sugar
• 4 tablespoons water
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• Place the chocolate and water in a heat proof dish.
• Place the dish in the pan of hot water and allow the chocolate to melt slowly.
• Remove the dish from the pan and whisk in the liqueur or brandy with the butter.
• Beat the egg yolks(you can use an electric mixer here)for a few minutes until they are thick and creamy.
• Now beat the egg mixture into the chocolate and blend well.
• Whisk the cream until it forms peaks.
• Stir about a spoonful into the chocolate mixture until blended in well, then blend in the remainder of the cream.
• It is now time to whisk the egg whites - make sure the bowl is grease-free! Whisk for about half a minute until frothy.
• Whisk in the cream of tartar.
• Continue whisking until they form peaks.
• Sprinkle in the sugar and continue whisking until stiff and glossy.
• Now stir a few spoonfuls of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the remainder and blend slowly.
• Spoon into individual dishes or one larger dish.
• It is important to chill the mousse for abut 2 hours until set.