French Onion Soup Recipe
Soupe À L'oignon
This French onion soup recipe is such a French classic, it's hard to believe it's such an easy soup to make!
French Onion Soup Recipe
It's very economical and provides lots of nourishment for your family especially on a cold winters day.
I well remember the onion Johnnies coming around our village when I was young, selling their lovely onions on long ropes.
We often had a big pan of onion soup made from these after their visit.
If you wonder what were the onion Johnnies, take a look here!
There are some very quick recipes for onion soup but they don't
do it justice.
With this recipe you will have a delicious mouthwatering
golden soup to be proud of and they will definitely come back for more!
You will love it!
It helps get rid of a nasty cold too, just add more garlic or make garlic soup, it works every time for me.
Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
Like it? ~ Let us know below!
Don't worry, you have a choice to print the photo or not, when you click print! ;-)
Classic French Onion Soup
This French onion soup recipe is an authentic and delicious dish, that will be your favorite for years to come.
- 4 large onions
- 2 level tablespoons (30 grams) of flour
- 2 level tablespoons (30 grams) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar (helps the onions to turn golden brown)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cups (1/4 pint) dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 cups (4 pints) of boiling chicken broth or beef broth - you can buy this but to make your own please go to 'How to make chicken stock'
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional), but oh so good, especially for a cold day!
For The Garnish
- 1 slice of thick French hard toasted bread per person
- 1 garlic clove, peeled from its shirt
- 2 cups (8 ozs) Swiss grated cheese or parmesan (or any hard cheese if you don't have this)
How To Make The Soup
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook slowly in a covered saucepan for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in the garlic, thyme salt, and sugar.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions have turned a lovely golden brown color.
- Remove from heat whilst you stir in the flour until it is well blended.
- Return to the heat and gradually stir in the boiling stock and the white wine.
- Season to taste.
- Simmer the soup, partially covered, for about another 40 minutes.
- Taste again and season if needed.
- Stir in brandy.
How To Assemble Garnish
- Prepare the hard toast by rubbing each piece with the garlic clove.
- When ready to serve, pour into a soup tureen or soup cups, over the rounds of bread.
- Pass the cheese round separately so each person can take what they want to sprinkle over the toast.
- Now you will know just how good this French onion soup recipe really is, and want to make it whenever the fancy takes you.
Copyright © 2014-2020 www.lovefrenchfood.com
french onion soup, french food, traditional french recipes
French Food, Food & Beverage, Home & Garden, Kitchen/Cooking
Did you make this recipe?
Easy French Chicken Recipes
Season To Your Taste
6 Delicious Stocks
More Great Recipes