Fried rice is often served as a side order with other dishes, but it is a tasty dish in itself if served, as here, with prawns. But just as easily you can substitute pork, chicken, beef or peppers.
2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
100g prawns (raw, de-veined)
100g smoked bacon, finely chopped, or lardons
3-4 spring onions, finely chopped
150g long grain rice, cooked and chilled
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp light soy
1. In a hot wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil and pour in the eggs. Cook, stirring, until the eggs are lightly set. Remove and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil and stir-fry the prawns, bacon and spring onions for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the rice and the salt, and cook until the rice is warmed through.
4. Add the Hoisin and light soy sauce.
5. Fold in the eggs, and serve.
NOTE: Chicken, sliced pork or chopped peppers, can be substituted for the prawns.