HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STOCK
Fond De Volaille
Want to know how to make chicken stock? Well, it is so easy and very versatile. Many recipes for soups and sauces call for a good chicken stock.
Anyone who wants to know how to make chicken stock will be able to make the most delicious recipes using your left over chicken and carcasses! So next time you have chicken for dinner - don't throw any away"
• 4 lbs (2kg) raw chicken carcasses, necks, feet, or cooked carcasses.
• 2 large onions, halved but unpeeled
• 3 large carrots, cut in large pieces
• 1 stick celery
• 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled and crushed
• 1 large bouquet garni
Do not add salt to your stock. Sauces and soups are seasoned when cooking.
• Place all meat ingredients in a large heavy based stock pot or pan and cover with cold water.
• Bring to the boil.
• As the liquid heats a foam will develop .Skim this off with a large ladle. This will take a few minutes.
• Add the vegetables and herbs.
• Reduce the heat until just simmering and continue to simmer for about 4 hours. (Do not cover the pan as this will cause the liquid to sour)
• Continue to top up the stock with boiling water during the cooking. (As in the picture above, it is ready to be topped up.)
• Leave the stock to cool and skim off the fat.
• The large pieces of bones can be removed by hand.
• Pass the stock through a fine sieve or muslin and discard the bones and vegetables.
If the stock is left to go cold there may be more fat on the surface which you can now remove easily either with your fingers or a large ladle.
The stock can be frozen in small quantities until it is needed.