225g sweet shortcrust pastry, home-made or
190g caster sugar
250ml double cream
3 lemons, zested and juiced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC and grease a 20cm tart tin.
2. Roll out the pastry and place over the tin. Press it down
into the sides and let the excess hang over the edges. Prick the base with a
fork, line with greaseproof paper and baking beans or uncooked rice, and cook
in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
3. Whisk the eggs and mix in the sugar. Stir in the cream
and lemon juice, sieve the mixture and then add the zest.
4. Take the tart from the oven, remove the greaseproof paper
and the baking beans or uncooked rice, and return to the oven for five minutes.
5. Turn the heat down to 150ºC and pour the lemon mixture
into the tart case. Bake for about an hour, or until the filling is just set
and the pastry is golden-brown.
6. Remove tart from the oven and trim off the overhanging
pastry. Leave the tart to cool completely before putting it in the fridge for