This mayonnaise recipe will give you the most delicious and superior mayonnaise you have ever tasted. Do try and buy the best olive oil for this and free range eggs as the better the quality, the better the mayonnaise. You will now have a mayonnaise to be proud of. Your family and friends will truly fall in love with your food!
• 2 egg yolks (preferably fresh free range eggs)
• ¼ level teaspoon dry mustard or ½ level teaspoon of Dijon mustard
• ½ level tsp salt
• 1/2 - 1 tbsp wine or tarragon vinegar, or lemon juice
• ½ pint good quality olive oil
It is important to have all the ingredients at room temperature, so if the eggs are usually kept in the refrigerator, leave them out for a few hours before using them.
1. Mix the egg yolks and mustard together in a bowl.
2. Beat for about a minute until creamy.
3. Beat in the olive oil, drop by drop (literally, this is so important!), until the mixture begins to thicken.
4. Then add the remaining oil, slowly in a stream, until the mixture is thick.
5. You can now thin the mayonnaise with a little lemon juice or vinegar to taste.
The freshly made mayonnaise will keep in the refrigerator for two days.
If your mayonnaise is too thick, simply beat in a little water or thin cream. Even a little dry white wine works wonders too!
If your mayonnaise should curdle simply place a fresh egg yolk in a clean bowl and beat in the mayonnaise very gradually, spoon by spoon until it is all incorporated.
A teaspoon of French mustard can also be used instead of the egg yolk
With your freshly made mayonnaise you can now make a variety of wonderful French sauces. Here are some great sauces for your everyday dishes and special occasions.
Simply flavour your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice to taste and fold in about 1/8 pint of thick fresh cream.
A simple sauce made with the addition of just one teaspoon each of grated onion, chopped capers, gherkins, tarragon and parsley.
To the basic mayonnaise recipe, add one tablespoon of thick Tomato Coulis (this is best made from fresh tomatoes), 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and one teaspoon fresh tarragon.
Add one teaspoon of French mustard, one teaspoon of chopped parsley, one teaspoon chopped chervil, one teaspoon of chopped shallots or onions and one teaspoon of chopped gherkin.