Mesclun Salad Owns A Delicate Flavor
Mesclun salad is a specialty of Nice in the south of France and at one time it was only found in Nice.
However, today it is found in most places and accompanies an assortment of dishes in good restaurants.
Most people have heard of a Salad Nicoise (Salad Nice) but this one is just a fresh green salad made with the Provencal herbs and plants.
It consists of a mixture of young shoots, harvested especially for their delicate flavor such as rocket, watercress, dandelion leaves and oak leaf lettuce.
The inhabitants of Nice used to pick their own fresh herbs and plants for this salad and indeed some still do to this day.
You too can pick your own especially dandelion leaves when they are young but do make sure that no weed killers have been sprayed on the area!
If you choose this salad in a restaurant these days it is one of the most expensive of salads.
It is often included as part of the Hors d'oeuvres.
Like it? ~ Let us know below!
Don't worry, you have a choice to print the photo or not, when you click print! ;-)
A lovely delicate French salad to enjoy with your meal.
Start With Fresh Young Salad Leaves
- )Any combination of fresh young salad leaves such as:
- 1 handful of watercress
- 1 handful of rocket (arugula)
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1 handful of dandelion leaves
- 1 handful sorrel
- 1 handful oak leaf lettuce
- 1 garlic clove
- Vinaigrette dressing
- Wash the fresh salad leaves in cold water and dry them on a kitchen towel.
- Rub the garlic clove around the bowl.
- Arrange leaves in a salad bowl.
- Toss in a light vinaigrette dressing just before serving.
- It is delicious served with a few slivers of parmesan cheese or pine nuts, walnuts, black olives and if you are lucky enough to purchase some truffles these would be a fabulous addition.
Visit my Pinterest boards.
Get the nutritional information for this recipe from CALORIE COUNTER, it’s easy.
Need a different weight or volume measurement for the ingredients in this recipe? Get it at CONVERT ME.
Copyright © 2014-2020 www.lovefrenchfood.com
french salad, Vinaigrette dressing, watercress, sorrel, dandelion, arugula
French salads, recipes, dressings
Did you make this recipe?
More Great Recipes
Love French Food