A fantastic taste of Thailand that is easy and quick to prepare. Impress your friends with this.
Allow 1 small-ish fillet or sirloin steak per person
2 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp Five-Spice powder
4 oz beansprouts
3-4 shallots, finely sliced – or 1 onion
1-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped*
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
3 tbsp Thai soy sauce
1-2 red chilies, deseeded and sliced
½ stalk of lemon grass, finely chopped
3 tbsp groundnut oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Very lightly brush a little oil over the steak.
2. Mix the ground peppercorns with the Five-Spice powder and press into both sides of the steak. Cook on a griddle pan for 2-3 minutes each side.
3. Mix the beansprouts, half the ginger, the shallots and red pepper together, and distribute equally across the plates.
4. Mix the remaining ginger, soy sauce, chilies, lemon grass, groundnut oil and sesame oil together.
5. Slice the beef into strips and arrange on the vegetables. Drizzle with the dressing and serve, garnished with half a lime.
* Ginger can be
frozen into 1-inch pieces, and then grated from frozen. It works just as well.