This easy to make rice dish is a tasty alternative to plain boiled or fried rice.
· 3 tbsps vegetable oil
· 5 cm piece of cinnamon stick
· 4 cardamom pods, crushed
· 4 cloves
· 1 onion, finely chopped
· 250 gm long-grain rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
· 600 ml beef stock or water, or mix of both
1. Heat the
oil in a casserole or other large pan.
2. Add the cinnamon,
cardamom and cloves and fry for a few seconds.
3. Add the
onion and fry over a medium heat until golden.
4. Drain the rice thoroughly and add to
the pan and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
5. Add the stock/water, and salt to taste.
Bring to the boil, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rice is cooked and
the liquid absorbed.
To make a vegetable pilau,
add 125 gm of peas, thinly sliced or diced carrots and small cauliflower
florets to the pan after frying the onion (Stage 3). Fry for 5 minutes, then
add the rice and proceed as above.