225 gm of chestnuts*
225 gm of Cox apples
225 gm of lean pork finely minced
100 ml of Madeira wine
salt and pepper
15 gm of butter
225 gm short crust pastry
120cm/8½ ins loose based flan tin
* Tinned chestnuts will do just as well
Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5
1. Cook and shell the chestnuts, and chop into pieces.
2. Peel and core then finely chop the apples, about 1cm
cubes is fine.
3. Mix the apple, chestnuts, pork, Madeira, and one egg in a
large mixing bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Butter the flan tin generously, including the top lip.
5. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to about the thickness
of a £1 coin, and line the flan tin with it. Allow the top edges to overlap the
sides of the tin.
6. Prick the base with a fork; then spread the filling over
7. Roll out the remaining pastry and place over the tin, sealing
the edges. Decorate with pastry shapes, if you wish, and brush with beaten egg.
[Do not trim the edges at this stage; the pastry will shrink during cooking. You
can trim it once it is cooked and cooled.]
8. Cut a small hole in in the middle to allow the steam to
9. Bake for 45mins, and then cool for 10mins: serve warm.