Roast Goose Recipe with Apples
Oie Farcie De La Saint Michel
Roast Goose With Apples And Herbs
A roast goose recipe really has to be one of the most traditional of Christmas fares.
Goose is a rich meat dish and the apples help balance this wonderful feast.
Goose is definitely a French classic when it comes to Christmas although it is not as popular nowadays as it used to be.
It is a most delicious bird and when cooked as in this recipe it is going to give you a wonderful Christmas dinner.
Roast Goose Is A Special Treat
Like it? ~ Let us know below!
Don't worry, you have a choice to print the photo or not, when you click print! ;-)
Roast Goose Recipe With Apples
Goose is a most delicious bird and when cooked as in this recipe it is going to give you a wonderful Christmas dinner or a special meal any time of the year.
- 10lb (4 - 5kg) Goose cleaned and ready for cooking
- 2oz (50g) softened butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/4lbs (1k) apples
For The Stuffing
- 2 1/4 lbs (1k) onions
- 1 small stale white loaf bread - crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Milk for soaking the bread
Prepare The Stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6
- Bake the onions in the oven in their skins for about 40 minutes then roughly peel and chop them.
- Cube the bread - enough to fill the cavity of the bird. Soak it in milk for a few minutes then squeeze it and mix with the chopped onions, sage, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the cavity of the goose with your stuffing mixture and sew the opening to close it and truss the bird with string to keep its shape whilst cooking.
Cooking The Goose
- Turn the oven up to 230C/450F/Gas 8
- Smear the goose with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the goose in a roasting tin and into the preheated oven.
- After about 15 minutes, add a few tablespoons of water to the roasting tin and lower the heat to 180C/350F/Gas4 and cook for about 2 1/2 hours.
- At intervals skim off the fat with a spoon.
- While Your Goose Is Cooking
- Peel and slice the apples and simmer in a covered pan over low heat for about 20 minutes when you will have a lovely unsweetened apple puree.
- When your goose is cooked, remove from the oven and set aside for about half an hour before carving it.
- Your roast goose recipe is really special and you can serve it with the apple puree served separately along with your favorite vegetables.
- Some good accompaniments are steamed potatoes or if you prefer, Pommes Dauphine is a great way to serve your potatoes if you have the time.
Visit my Pinterest boards.
Get the nutritional information for this recipe from CALORIE COUNTER, it’s easy.
Need a different weight or volume measurement for the ingredients in this recipe? Get it at CONVERT ME.
Copyright © 2014-2020 www.lovefrenchfood.com
Did you make this recipe?
Bon Appetit, with this Roast Goose Recipe!
Love French Food