Tomato Puree Recipe
Coulis De Tomates
A fresh tomato puree recipe to give your meat or vegetable dish that little bit of tasty freshness everyone loves. Sometimes known as tomato coulis, this tomato puree is really good and is so easy to make.
This is a good way of using up summer tomatoes especially when you have too many of them or if they are cheap to buy at the local market. The recipe can be made up and then the puree can be frozen until you need it.
• 1 onion finely chopped
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
• 1 lb of fresh ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram or basil
• A little salt, sugar and black pepper to taste
• 1/2 inch strip of orange peel (optional)
1. Pour the olive oil into a heavy based saucepan and fry the onion gently for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, the herbs and all the other ingredients.
3. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until completely mushy.
4. Either press through a sieve or put in a liquidiser.
5. Return to the pan and simmer until you have a thick tomato puree.
You can taste the purée at this stage and adjust it to your liking.
You can use this tomato puree recipe to add flavour and colour to egg dishes, chicken, pasta and any meat dishes you like.
Also use as basis for your tomato soup or potage au tomates.