This is a tasty and healthy fresh tomato soup recipe which will be a great addition to your family recipes.
It is usually made when there is an abundance of fresh tomatoes, ideally when they are less expensive and you can make a large amount of the basic tomato purée and freeze it.
Tomato soup is one of the most popular of soups with most family members and this one is so good it can be made for when you are entertaining your friends – and they will be impressed by your efforts.
The recipe here is of course a traditional French recipe and it includes a good beef bouillon or beef stock. This was usually made at home too but you can buy good beef bouillons nowadays in the supermarkets if you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own.
You can of course use a good vegetable stock if you would prefer your soup to be all vegetarian, it will be a good result too.
· 575mls/1 pint fresh tomato purée
· 1.3 litres (2¼ pints) beef bouillon
· Salt and black pepper
· 25g/1oz semolina
As you can see, your tomato soup recipe will need a good tomato purée. You may have some already in your freezer, but if you don't, here is the recipe and method for this part of the recipe.
· 1 onion finely chopped
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
· 1 pound of fresh ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
· ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram or basil
· A little salt, sugar and black pepper to taste
½ inch strip of orange peel (optional)
· Pour the olive oil into a heavy based saucepan and fry the onion gently for 5 minutes.
· Add the tomatoes, the herbs and all the other ingredients.
· Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until completely mushy.
· Either press through a sieve or put in a liquidiser.
· Return to the pan and simmer until you have a thick tomato puree.
· You should taste the puree at this stage and adjust it to your liking.
Now you can make your tomato soup:-
· Pour the beef bouillon into a large heavy bottomed pan.
· Add the tomato purée and mix well.
· Bring to the boil then simmer for about 30 minutes.
· Sprinkle the semolina over the surface and mix in thoroughly, this will thicken it slightly.
· Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
Serve your tomato soup recipe with fresh crusty
French bread or garlic croûtons.