Ingredients (Serves 4 people)
• 4 large pears
• 300mls (1/2 pint, 1/1/4 cups) double cream/whipping cream
• 55g, (2 oz castor sugar,1/4 cup) fine castor sugar
• 2.5mls, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
• Preheat the oven to 180 C (350F,Gas 2)
• Lightly butter a shallow baking dish.
• Peel and halve the pears, removing the cores.
• Place the pears flat side down in the dish.
• Mix the cream, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg and ginger together.
• Pour the mixture over the pears and place in the pre-heated oven.
• Bake for about half an hour or until the pears are soft and golden brown. (Baste at intervals)
• Cool before serving.