This recipe makes about 12 cakes.
• 6oz of flour
• 2 eggs
• 20g confectioners sugar
• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp of orange or lemon juice
• 6 tbsps unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1 tsp baking powder
Pre-heat your oven to 190°C.
1. Grease a 12 cup madeleine pan with a little butter
2. Sift the flour and baking together and leave aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and confectioners sugar together using a mixer if you have one. Do this for about 5 minutes until it becomes thick and creamy.
4. Fold the lemon zest and the juice into the mixture.
5. Gradually fold in about a quarter of the flour and a quarter of the melted butter.
6. Then fold in another quarter of the flour and then another quarter of the melted butter.
7. Continue folding in the flour and melted butter in quarters until it has all been mixed in.
8. Leave the mixture to stand for about 10 minutes.
9. Using a tablespoon, gently spoon the mixture into the madeleine tin.
10. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 12 minutes until a needle inserted in the centre comes out clean.
11. Turn your cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
12. Dust with confectioners sugar.
Your madeleines are now ready to eat!
They are best eaten on the same day but that's not usually a problem!