A crepe is a wafer-thin type of pancake with no leavening ingredient. Some people may refer to them as a flatbread. They can be eaten flat, folded, or rolled into a tunnel, with an endless selection of sweet or savory fillings and toppings. With only 4 ingredients they are economical, quick, and easy to whip up!
Start Here With The Basic Crepe Recipe Batter
6 Top Tips With Step-by-step Instructions:
Make Better French Toast & Pancakes Too With These Tips!
- Use a wire whisk to stir the batter. Crepe and galette batter should be stirred until smooth.
- All batter types should stand (or rest) for at least an hour, so plan ahead.
3. As always having the right tools will result in a better product, so that is why it is very important to use a good skillet or fry pan. What makes a good skillet for crepes and galettes? A heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan or a good quality non-stick pan with rounded corners that the batter can be swirled around in, will produce a thin, evenly browned, fluted edged crepe.
4. Heat your pan slowly until it reaches a hot temperature around 200°C /400°F. Butter and then quickly pour in your batter. Crepes especially need to be cooked hot and quick or they may turn out rubbery if cooked too slow.
5. How To Flip Crepes And Pancakes: Flipping the pancake. It is ready to flip when the edges start to lift. Gently take your spatula and slip it under the galette placing it underneath and across your galette to lift it so that it can be turned.
6. Any leftover crepes can be frozen and reheated at another time. Or make them intentionally with the idea to freeze them for later use. Layer cooled crepes with clear wrap between them, then place the stack of pancakes in a plastic bag or wrap in foil, then it can be placed in the freezer as is or in a container to keep them from getting damaged in the shuffle.
Tips For Savory Crepe Batter
- Use olive oil, vegetable oil or sunflower oil in the batter as each one will enhance your crepes with a slightly different flavor, your preference.
- Try them out by dividing the other ingredients in half placing each half in a separate bowl and use 2 different oils to see the one you like best.
Tips For Sweet Crepe Batter
- Add 1 tablespoon caster sugar (To make castor sugar buzz granulated sugar in the blender until finer but not powder, be careful not to breathe in the dust.)
- Or, use light brown sugar to make golden caster sugar which adds a slight caramel flavor.
Note: ½ cup white sugar will equal ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of castor sugar.
Try the many variations listed below and then come up with your own and share with us in the comments!
Savory Crepe Recipes For You To Make
Sweet Crepe Recipes For You To Make
Voila! Superbly made Crepes for you to enjoy all my different recipes!
Use this plain crepe mixture to start with to create your own delicious eats!Print