A tasty and welcoming Andouillettes sausage recipe for those days when you want something quick and easy yet different and good enough to please everyone.
Andouillettes are tripe sausages which are very popular around Northern France, Troyes, Lyon, Orleans and Tours. They can either be served hot or cold and have a somewhat acquired taste, some people love them and some don't like the smell.
The texture is somewhat rougher than most sausages, as the content is coarsely cut. They are often boiled, barbecued or grilled.
Here is a glimpse of what they look like inside
The sausage is often served with vegetables in a mustard or red wine sauce. It is best served with either dry white wine, brut champagne or Pinot noir.
In this sausage recipe we are cooking them in white wine and baking them in the oven.
The recipe is for 4 people so you can adjust if you need more. The traditional sausages are really big so you would need less.
You can use other good quality pork sausages, buy as many as you need for your requirements.
• 2 shallots
• 1 pint white wine
• 4 Andouillettes or 2 - 3 pork sausages per person
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 - 3 cooking apples, peeled and cored and cut in thick rings
• Pre heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
• Slice the shallots finely and place in the bottom of a flameproof dish.
• Pour in the wine and bring to the boil, remove from the heat.
• Prick the sausage all over to prevent them from bursting and place in the dish on top of the shallots.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Place in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until the juices are absorbed and the sausages are browned. If the sausage begin to brown too quickly, cover with foil.
Apples - you can either cook the apples in a little oil or butter in a heavy based frying pan or place them on a baking tray and bake in the oven about 15 minutes before the sausages are ready.
Serve your Andouillettes sausage recipe with the baked apples and if you want,some really creamy mashed potato as we do - delicious!
Hope you enjoy them and if you are interested take a look and see what they say about the