French Potato Salad
Pommes de Terre a L'huile
A French potato salad is so simple to make at home and is one that most people usually love and want more of!
Good quality waxy potatoes are needed for this salad and of course some wonderfully fragrant fresh herbs.
Waxy potatoes are better because they will hold their shape when cooked unlike the floury varieties which make better mashed potato recipes.
Desiree is a good all round waxy potato variety for roasting, making French fries and for salads. Some other waxy variety potatoes are Maris Piper, Anya, Charlotte, Estima, and Maris Bard.
Potatoes should be kept in a cool dark place and if there are any shoots on them or if they are going green, throw them away.
• 2 tablespoons wine or tarragon vinegar
• 4 - 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion or chives (optional)
• Chopped fresh herbs
• Boil in their jackets in salted water until just tender.
• Drain and leave to cool just a little.
• Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
• Make the dressing by mixing the oil, vinegar, spring onions/chives if used, together.
• Toss lightly with the hot potatoes.
• Sprinkle with the chopped herbs.