Courgette and Tomato Vegetable Bake
This courgette and tomato vegetable bake which is also known as Tian Provencal is a simple but tasty traditional dish from the Provencal area of the South of France. The amount of fresh vegetables there are plentiful and the peasants would have made their vegetable dishes using what was available in season.
This dish would have been made at home and taken to the bakers and when the baker had finished making the bread these simple dishes would have been put in the bread ovens to cook. This was of course in the days before people had ovens in their own homes.
It's a lovely refreshing and tasty dish to have on it's own with some crusty French bread or is delicious served with meat, poultry or fish!
• 1 lb (450g) Tomatoes
• 1 lb (45g) Courgettes
• 8oz (225g) sliced onions
• 1 tablespoon olive oil plus 1/2 tablespoon for drizzling
• 1 finely crushed garlic clove
• 1 teaspoon dried herbes de provence
• 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Preheat your oven to about 350f (180C or Gas 4)
• Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and sweat the onions and garlic over a low heat until they are soft and golden.
• Place the onions in the base of a shallow baking dish.
• Cut the tomatoes into thick slices about 1/4 (6mm) inch thick.
• Cut the courgettes into thick slices about 1/2 inch(1cm) thick.
• Arrange the tomatoes and courgettes in alternate rows over the onions and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, herbs and salt and pepper.
• Bake in the preheated oven until the vegetables are tender - takes about twenty minutes.
Your Provencal Tian is now ready to serve!
You can serve it as it is with some crusty French bread and a green salad or your favourite meat, fish or poultry dish.