delicious pancakes with a twist
Crepes Suzette are the simplest yet amazingly delicious
little French pancakes for you to make any time for your family or friends. Ironically,
my first encounter with them was in a Spanish hotel forty years ago.
They are a traditional food especially in the Brittany
region of France in the north west. You will see these little crepes almost
everywhere and they can have savoury or sweet fillings. However, for this
recipe it is going to be a delicious sweet crepe which you can make for any
occasion you like.
Imagine giving your family these beautiful little pancakes
for a treat or impressing your friends when they come over for a meal – simple
yet so tasty without costing a fortune.
So you don't need a special occasion to make these little
darlings, just a passion for good food and a simple recipe to help you! And here
it is – keep this one handy in your kitchen for when you want a treat! It isn't the classic all-in-the-pan recipe, but it's somewhat easier to do it this way.
4oz plain flour
• 1 level tbsp castor sugar
1 egg, plus one egg yolk
½ pint milk and water mixed
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp brandy
The Suzette Butter:
3oz unsalted butter
3oz castor sugar
Grated rind of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of Cointreau
2-3 tbsp Brandy or liqueur
1. Make the batter by whisking the eggs, flour, sugar and
milk/water into the flour to a creamy consistency.
2. Leave to stand for a couple of hours.
3. When ready to use, stir in the butter and brandy.
4. Make very small pancakes in a petite frying pan.
5. Stack them on top of one another and keep warm.
6. Cream the butter, sugar, orange rind together.
7. Add the liqueur.
8. Spread this mixture on to each crepe/pancake and roll up.
9. Place them side-by-side in a flameproof dish and sprinkle
10. Place in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
At the table, pour the brandy or liqueur on to a heated
spoon, ignite and pour over the pancakes. (All you need is confidence the first
time – but be careful!)
A wonderful dessert! Now you have a recipe for these traditional little French pancakes and you can make them whenever the desire takes your fancy! Enjoy.