This celery soup tastes as divinely as it looks. Fresh juicy celery with all it's wonderful fragrance makes an easy and wonderful soup for your family and friends.
• 1½ lbs (675gm) celery
• 8oz ( 225gms) potatoes
• 4 oz (100gm) onion
• 2oz (50gm) butter
• 1 litre (1¾ pints) warm water
• ½ pint (275ml) milk
• 2oz (50gm) double cream
• Prepare the celery by cleaning and trimming it. (Keep the leaves for later)
• Chop into small pieces
• Peel and chop the potatoes and place in a bowl of water
• Chop the onion
• Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan
• Cook the onions and celery until soft
• Add the water, salt and pepper and finally the potatoes
• Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer
• Simmer for 45 minutes
• Blend in a liquidiser (you can leave some little pieces as I have done in the photo but it is delicious either way)
• Return to pan and gradually add the cream
• Serve with the celery leaves sprinkled on top (Parsley could also be used if preferred)
Serve with your favourite crusty bread or croutons!
Such an easy recipe and one you will be sure to love!
It will keep in the refrigerator for several days but if you do want to keep it to use later, don't add the cream until you need it. Instead, reheat the soup and then add the cream just before serving.
Celery is not only good for making this soup but is one of the vegetables to have ready when you need to make a good stock or soup as it can be used with carrots, onions and garlic to flavour many, many dishes. I always keep some in my refrigerator at the ready.